Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Once I had a secret love

It was about 200 miles from Cloverdale to Carmel. The drive was the least interesting of any so far--much of it through industrial areas of Oakland. The Richmond-San Rafael bridge was quite a sight, though.

And I did get to see the Oakland-Alameda stadium where the hated Oakland Raiders play. What a dismal part of the country--no wonder Raiders fans dress up and act weird. I would too if I had to play there (or live there). We got to Carmel with no difficulties, and arrived at Vicky's parents' home mid afternoon.


The next day Vicky, I, and her parents drove around Carmel, Monterey, and Pacific Grove. We saw the mansions along the 17-mile-drive, which I had never heard of but is quite an astounding area.. The first part of that drive (through a gate, $9.50 to enter it, payable to the city of Carmel) is by some of the largest mansions I have ever seen. Just one after the other on both sides of the road. So THIS is where the 1% lives, huh?

I realize the sour grapes thing, but I had to agree with Vicky that for all of the wealth on display, there was very little beauty. The mansions were probably worth 50 million dollars each, but nobody could ever think of one of them as their dream home. There is something wrong with that. They also lacked warmth, and color. No one would use the adjective "charming" with any of them.

The second part of the 17 mile drive is along some of the most beautiful beach areas imaginable. We stopped at one point to walk Richard and Virginia's dog, We went out onto the beach, where we could see and hear seals. They bark and bark. It was terrific. I didn't have my good camera, but maybe you can make them out in this photo:



Later in the afternoon Vicky and I walked into downtown Carmel, peered into the shops, repeatedly asked "who would buy that expensive "crap," and enjoyed the day.

One place we walked by was the Cypress hotel, which is owned (in part) by Doris Day. Apparently her second career is in taking care of animals. You can go to the hotel for afternoon tea, and bring your dog.



When I was about 8 years old I fell in love with Doris Day's song "Secret Love." I saved my money and bought the 45 rpm record. It cost $1, which is what all 45 records cost then (interesting to think that with inflation one can purchase a $1 song from itunes now). The record came into the record store, I picked it up on my bike, and brought it home. Later that day, the family gathered around as I played my new (and only) 45 rpm record.

So, I've decided that if I run into somebody famous in Carmel, I'd rather it be Doris Day than Clint Eastwood (who used to be mayor). But if I don't, well then, que sera sera (I just had to do that).

We have decided that tomorrow we are going to take a bike ride--in the cold. The high is predicted to be 45 degrees. Brrrrrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment