Wednesday, January 25, 2023

We’d be warmer cycling in our refrigerator!

 The temperature on the top is in the refrigerator…..and the bottom temperature is outside!


It was important for us to cycle our 50K this morning.  I had surgery for an ablation in my lower back scheduled for noon.  I was scared and anxious, and needed a fun distraction.  

There was frost on our Rat, the the windshield has ice, unbelievably, in Mesa, Arizona.  If we had to take our car out this morning, we would have needed to find our ice scraper.  We haven’t used it since the winter of 2018 when we lived on Whidbey Island. 


The coldest we have started a bike ride was 39 degrees—8 degrees warmer than this morning, and that was a very cold ride, especially when we were going 18 mph.  

We decided to leave as soon as the sun rose, so MAYBE, there would be some warmth from the sun.


Here I am at 7:45 am, all bundled up with three layers of socks, five top layers which included a down jacket, two hats under my helmet, a buff, and HEATED gloves.  We heard about heated gloves from Candice, when she did her 50K run in -19 degree weather.   The gloves really work, and, boy, are these gloves a godsend!


And my Danny, is even more bundled up than I am.  In addition to all my clothes he had two toe warmers in each shoe, a fleece ninja hat and face mask , SIX layers on top, and although I had only one layer on my legs, he had SIX on his legs.  He was much still colder than me.


I was warm after 2 miles of hard cycling.  Dan was finally warm in a half hour, at about mile 8….and when  the sun had finally started to give off some warmth.

It was a great ride.  We went 16.7 miles per hour—one of our fastest ever!  Maybe because the only way to stay warm was to ride VERY vigorously and fast.  I totally forgot to be anxious about my upcoming surgery.

When we finished our 50K (32 miles) two hours later, it was 12 degrees warmer…..and we still had EVERY BIT of our colder weather gear on!



To think we used to consider that 43 degrees was too cold to ride a bike….43 degrees is now a balmy winter’s day!




No comments:

Post a Comment