Thursday, January 26, 2023

Don’t know who’s happier….me, Danny, or Delores

Modern medical advances are amazing—actually a miracle.

Four and a half years ago Dan had open heart surgery to fix a problem that would have caused his heart to explode within a few months..or weeks....or days.  His tricuspid valve had fused into a bicuspid leaflets.  The doctors don’t know why.  This caused him to have regurgitation (leakage) from his heart, and resulted in an aneurysm in his aorta that was ready to burst.  His heart is now “fixed” with a valve from a cow.  He is now my Cowboy!

Then two and a half years ago, he was diagnosed with serious prostate cancer.  After 2-1/2 months of radiation every single morning, followed by two years of nasty medicine with severe side effects, he doing so well that his doctor said, “It is a miracle."  Good news, but kind of scary that we needed a miracle for him. 

My dear Danny, has gone through hell and back again to stay alive for me.  Thank you Danny.

Finally this year it was my turn to take the limelight.  I needed some relief from my back pain.  Thirty years ago a truck rear ended my car on the state highway on Whidbey Island.  I was stopped behind another car that was making a left turn.  The truck was going 60 mph, and the 80-year-old man driving didn’t try to stop.  He said, “I didn’t see you."  I expect it was time for him to loose his keys and put his truck in his garage.

Anyway, as a result of this crash, I had a concussion, whiplash, and a serious lower back injury.  Four years later, after multiple treatments and physical therapy, I had back surgery, with two titanium discs inserted into my spinal cord.  That was 25 years ago.

Last summer the pain in my back became unmanageable.  I couldn’t take Naproxen anymore to lessen the pain.  Every night I would wake up after a few hours of sleep in excruciating pain.  The only thing that lessened the pain was to get up and walk around….and walk, and walk, and walk.  Sometimes I could fall asleep again, but often not.

So we went off to the back doctor—had an X-ray, and the doctor said, yes you have some arthritis in your lower back, and will need to go to physical therapy before an MRI (or anything) can be done.  Two months later of failed physical therapy, our insurance FINALLY allowed me to get an MRI. 

Then things started moving, I was referred to a pain clinic for a possible ablation—where they would burn the nerves in my lower back that were causing the pain…..YEAH!

Again the miracle of modern medicine.  But before an ablation, the doctor was required, by my insurance company, to do a procedure called a medial block.  This means that he inserted needles in six places (L-1, L-2, and L-3), and shot in something that temporarily kept the nerves from transmitting the pain from my back to my brain.

I had to have this medial block procedure done two times.  If I experienced at least 80% pain relief, then the doctor would know that he was in the right place for an ablation, and our insurance would pay for the procedure.  

Everytime I went into the Surgery Center, I was anxious and scared.  Dan stayed with me the entire time… until they wheeled me into surgery.  And right as the nurses wheeled me away he surprised me with a card.  Each card told me that he was in the room with me, holding my hand.  



And every time, I read the loving, sweet card, I cried.  I held the card next to my heart during the procedure…..the whole time, and I could actually feel my Danny with me, holding my hand.

The nurses and all the staff in the Surgery Center loved it.  I think that they took extra good care of me.  They knew that I was very important to someone, my husband.

Finally six months after I went to the back doctor last summer, an ablation was approved.  If successful, this procedure could bring my back pain under control.

Dan and I headed to the Surgery Center.  I was more anxious than ever.  And very scared that this may not work and may not even lessen the pain any at all.  Dan understood this fear.  He is my rock….always there, always steady.

The nurses, anesthesiologist, and doctor talked to me.  Dan was beside me every minute and held my hand.  Surprisingly fast, it was time for my surgery.  Dan gave me a kiss, and they wheeled me away, but at that exact moment he slid me something….and the nurses said, “give her back her glasses.”  They knew that Dan had given me another card.  But there was something else too…

I did cry, but I was laughing too.  I forgot to be anxious or scared.  All I felt was intense love for my Danny.  And I held the tissue and card next to my heart the whole time.

Here I am being wheeled out of the Surgery Center by our friendly nurse, Delores.  I don’t know who is happier….me, Danny, or Delores!

The good news….after 30 years of pain, I slept most of the night after my surgery.  The pain was greatly diminished, certainly something I can live with.  It is a miracle!


No comments:

Post a Comment