Sunday, February 26, 2017

Project #2: Organizing the attic storeroom & moving on from another life

When I moved to Whidbey Island almost (gasp) 10 years ago I brought more "stuff" than I eventually used.  I didn't know what of my previous life would still be relevant to my new one.

Clearing out the attic was not just going through things and organizing them.  It was a saying goodbye in a way to things that mattered years ago but no longer mattered.

Mostly it was my stuff, not Vicky's, as she had already done that for the most part.

We filled three or four 20-gallon trash bins with stuff that was no longer relevant to me (lots of it having to do with my teaching, for example), and culled through the other stuff to take 10 boxes or so of usable items to donate to the thrift store and bookstore.

We went through every box and labeled the contents.  This will make it easier for the next culling, and for anyone else who needs to go through these boxes in future years.

It feels good to have this project done.  We started it three years ago, and made a lot of progress.  But other house projects got in the way of completing the job.

There is a little bit of grief to this process, just as there was when I sold my Corvair and when I disposed of almost all of my antiques and collectibles business.  But all of the things that are now gone represented good times, and those memories were not thrown out or donated.

What it looked like three years ago:






One trip to the bookstore and thrift store with donations.  We filled the car up twice:


Working up there is difficult for our old bodies--crawling around for hours on our knees, bending over a lot, etc.

 



Done!  Here are all of our Christmas Decorations and Snow Village collection. We kept all of that!


Boxes labeled and stacked, and room to move around:





Done!  On to the bathroom project!

No comments:

Post a Comment