Sunday, March 12, 2023

Our 12th Danciversary

Twelve years ago today we met at a dance at the Deer Lagoon Grange Hall on Whidbey Island.  We had both lived less than two miles away from each other for the previous four years.  But we didn’t know that the other existed until that fateful, wonderful night when we both decided to go to the same dance. 

I was so happy and excited that night.  I had a whole evening ahead of me to dance.  I always danced every single dance until the music stopped, and the Grange Hall was locked up for the evening.  

I had danced since I was a child, and simply loved to dance….to move gracefully to beautiful music.

That evening, on March 12, 2011, I had just finished a dance. The music was starting up again, and I was looking around for someone to dance with, when I heard a voice behind me asking very politely, “can I have a dance?”  I turned around and saw my love, my Danny. 

My first words to him were, “yes, what is it?”  I was a “new” dancer and had started taking ballroom dancing classes only eight month before.  I wanted to know what kind of dance we would be doing to the music—swing, cha cha, waltz, or nightclub 2-step.

Dan said, “it’s a waltz.”  A beautiful waltz….Angel by Sarah McLachlan.  The words were “in the arms of an angel.”  And I was in the arms of my angel.

Dan later told me that he had seen this woman wearing a pink sweater who “sparkled.” He put his dance shoes on in record time, and chased me around the dance floor so he could ask me for a dance. He called me “The Pink Sweater Lady,” because he didn’t know my name.

Every year we celebrate the day that we met at a dance—Our Danciversary.  I always wear the same dress that I was wearing on the day that we met, and, of course, my pink sweater.

Our cards today….a 1919 “The Last Waltz” postcard, and a bicycle build for two card. How appropriate!


We cycled together 32 miles this morning.  The sun rose to give us a beautiful day.


We celebrated with homemade nachos on the back patio.



And we danced.  Our first dance today was “Angel,” the same as our first dance twelve years ago.  We are in the arms of an angel…..each other’s arms.

 Here is our dance:  Angel

Yes, there is such a thing as “love at first sight.”

No comments:

Post a Comment