Friday, May 6, 2022

11 years since our first "Magical Week in May!"


Eleven years ago, in ONE week of May, we went on our first date, fell in love, and became engaged.  Big week, wasn't it?  That's why we call it our "Magical Week in May."

Two months after this Magical Week we were married.

Every year, in May, we celebrate this wonderful week.

And today was our day to celebrate.  I brought Dan his breakfast in bed, just as I do every day.  But today, as a special treat, I made him bacon and eggs with Mom’s homemade noodles and gravy!  

Every morning when I wake up, the first thing I see is Dan’s happy, good morning smile. This morning, he gave me an extra big smile when I brought his breakfast, a special wine, and his anniversary card!
  

For my anniversary card, Dan gave me a rare 1950’s music box with a crank that plays the Anniversary Waltz.  Thank you, my love.

It is a very sweet vintage card.  There is nothing comparable to this music box in our modern world.  We are children of the 1950’s, and are very thankful for this.
 

As part of our celebration of the day, we hiked from our cabin a half mile to the Pine-Strawberry Trail, and then hiked on this trail.  This 4-1/2 mile trail has the feel of traveling into a Hobbit land.  This gem of a trail literally starts at our front door, and within 15 minutes we are in a National Forest.  We treasure it.



Look what we found…several large blossoming bushes that we had never seen before!


Here is my anniversary bouquet—a gift from nature.



Dan took a picture of me setting up and balancing our rPhone, as I was attempting to take a “together” anniversary photo. 


With only a ten-second time delay, I had to sprint to get into our “together” photo.


I made it into the picture with one second to go! 


Dan enjoyed the first sip of his anniversary wine.  He said it had an excellent taste.  I'm glad.


Eleven years ago, we never could have imagined that we would have curtains in our bathroom that were made from worn out sheets….but we do.  Or that they could be so meaningful to us.

During our 11 years together, we went on eight 5+ month long road trips in the Turtle (our truck/camper).  And our favorite sheets for the bed in our camper were flannel ones with scenes of elk, bears, and wolves. A few weeks ago, I put these sheets on the bed in our cabin, and realized that the bottom sheet was worn thin from so many years of usage and had ripped.  

We were both so sad when we had to say goodbye to these sheets.  (Ok, we’re kind of nostalgic, and maybe silly, but we really were truly sad.)

So I thought, how could we honor these special sheets that held so many memories for us. Of course, I thought!  I could use the top sheet and make curtains for the bathroom in our cabin.  

So today I surprised Dan with these sheets-turned-into-curtains!  
 
(Dan here).....I never cease to be amazed at her talents.  She knits, cooks, creates a home, had an unbelievable career, and then could see in those ruined sheets something special that could be made from them.  She sewed them when we were in Nuestra Casa (i.e., Mesa), just telling me to "don't look over here."  So, I didn't.  
 
My contribution?  Getting the sewing machine out and putting it away.  We do everything to protect her back.


We had our first fondue at our cabin today for the celebration.  It was a lovely sunny day as we ate our dinner outside on our front porch. 


A (soon to be mother) elk wished us a Happy Anniversary, as she nibbled flowers, bushes, and grass in our front yard.  We can hardly wait until she comes back to show us her newborn baby.


We enjoyed some decadent chocolate chip cookies that I baked for desert.


Then my Danny took me in his arms, and we danced, and danced, and danced.  It was a simply wonderful day and a very special anniversary celebration.  


And ever since that magical week in May, eleven years ago, we have lived happily ever after!

No comments:

Post a Comment