Monday, October 31, 2016

We find either an unusal rock or a Native American artifact: Read on to see which!


Vicky found it in front of our pickup.  It looked like it might be a Native American mortar--where they would use a rock to grind up grain.

What do you think?



We contacted the local office for the Grasslands, and it was very responsive.  Two people from their archaeology department came and checked it out.  That is nice to know about the Forest Service.

The verdict?

Not yet.  Be patient.  Sheesh.

OK.  I will admit to some mixed feelings here.  Vicky found this, and also found the 30 million year old fossil last month.  She is always finding things.  She can look around at the horizon and point out something of which I was unaware, and still see what is right beneath her feet.  And I just blissfully hike along.

So, I'm feeling a little artifact-finding impaired.

Also, after we found it, hiking became impossible.  Every two feet Vicky thought she saw something, and we'd have to stop so she could pick it up.  After all, she was on a roll.   And who am I to say since she finds, like, everything and I find, like, nothing? 

But I hoped it was an artifact anyway.

So, now, with that.  The verdict?

An interesting rock.   

It will look great in our garden, and be a reminder of the fun we had with this. 



No comments:

Post a Comment