Monday, September 19, 2016

Meadowlarks in the Charles M. Russell Wildlife Refuge

 

We had read that Meadowlarks are present in the Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge, and had hoped to see one.

I remember these beautiful birds from my childhood in Oklahoma.  At that time boys often had BB guns.  One day I was out in the fields with some boys I didn’t know very well, and one of the boys had a pellet gun.  A pellet gun is a lethal weapon for small animals, unlike a BB gun.  This boy shot a Meadowlark.  As I recall, the rest of us were horrified.  Or at least I was, which is why I remember the incident.  That was just not something you did—shoot a Meadowlark.  It’s a sin To Kill a Meadowlark, or something. It has bothered me all of this time.

I have not seen one since, over 60 years.  That’s as it should be, because even though I didn’t kill that bird, I was with someone who did.

But I have been forgiven, I believe, because where we are camped there are Meadowlarks all around us.  Singing and singing in that distinctive, and beautiful trill.  It is like the Mormon Tabernacle Meadowlark Choir here---dozens of birds in all directions singing away. Quite spectacular.

They are difficult to photograph, being wild birds and all (or maybe they still have some type of institutional memory of me).  This is the best photo I could get.  Unfortunately, it was a cloudy day, so the brilliance of its colors is lost.



I am glad to see so many of them here.  We hope to see other animals and birds in the next few days. We have already seen Fox, Coyote, Rabbits, and Mule Deer.  

For the first time for me in 60 years, and for Vicky ever, we have seen Meadowlarks.




No comments:

Post a Comment