Thursday, June 6, 2013

D-Day

69 years ago today, frightened boys got out of their boats, spurred on by who knows what (maybe just the guy behind them pushing them) and stormed the beach at Normandy.

So many died that day, I have seen their graves.  They didn't know who I am (and actually they couldn't because I wasn't "am" yet), and their lives were cut so short.

None of them could have imagined today's world.  Their mothers and fathers are all gone--all of the people who suffered so much when they received the news of their deaths.

I cannot even comprehend the fear they felt, the horror, the pain.  It is beyond my imagination.

I do know, though, that today, June 6, 2013, I would not be sitting on my front porch enjoying my birds and flowers, and Vicky and I would not be planning on taking tomorrow's bike ride and visit with family, if they had not gotten out of those boats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment