Thursday, October 4, 2012

It is in the genes, I guess

About three weeks ago I called my mother to tell her we were in Zion national park. I asked if she had been there.

She said "of course, when I graduated from high school."

I had never heard about this trip, so this week when we were in Fort Collins visiting her I asked her more about it.

She explained that as a high school graduation gift her mother offered her a watch or she could accompany her sisters and brother-in-law on a trip to California. This was in 1938. From Iowa!

She took the trip, and had a terrific time. Se remembered a lot about it. Her brother-in-law and two of her sisters went.

This is the same mother who went on a one week rubber raft trip with Kathy, Bill, and me down the Colorado river through the Grand Canyon when she was 75!

My mother did a road trip! When she was 16, when there were no interstates and when many roads were dirt and gravel. They saw much of Route 66.

I think if if circumstances had been different she might have done what we are doing--traveling around, hiking, exploring.

I'm so proud of her. She's my role model in so many ways.

My mother did a road trip. In 1938. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment