Friday, April 1, 2016

Refinishing the Hoosier


Before kitchens had built in cabinets, pieces of furniture were used to store food, utensils, and cooking supplies.

One of the most common pieces of kitchen furniture was a cupboard called a  Hoosier cabinet, named because the most popular ones were made by the Hoosier Manufacturing company in, you guessed it, Indiana. 

In the early 1970s I acquired one of these and began the process of refinishing and restoring it.  I would buy one to cannibalize a part and then resell it, until the one I had was fairly complete.

The cabinet has moved around over the years, and this spring returned to me.

It was in need of having all of the drawers re-glued and the interior re-painted.  It was my first spring project.







All done!  Looks just right in our kitchen area. 


Vicky took no time at all to put it to use:




No comments:

Post a Comment