Sunday, December 4, 2022

The magic of Christmas lives within us…..


Who says that you have to be a child to feel the magic of Christmas? 

In my childhood memories from the 50’s, I can see and smell the shining sparkling Christmas tree with the angel perched at an angle on top of the tree—so high it is almost touches heaven.  Every few minutes I just can’t resist wandering back into the living room to admire the most beautiful Christmas tree ever!  

I finally stretch out sideways in a large living room chair next to our decorated tree with my book, and enter the marvelous world that I share with Anne in her Green Gables.  I smell pine needles—the outdoors is brought into our snug little home.

The whole house smells like sugar, molasses, and chocolate as the gingerbread cookies, fudge, and pies are cooling on top of the stove.  My siblings' and my fingers are sticky from licking the bowl and snitching bits of cookie crumbs when Mom has her back turned.  She pretends not to see us sneaking into the kitchen for more, but we know she does, because of the sweet smile on her face.

As a child, I always saved my allowance and did extra jobs so I would have a few dollars to find just the PERFECT gift for each of my five brothers and sisters, my best friend, and my mother and father.  I would carefully wrap my gifts and add them to the huge pile of presents under tree.  I could hardly sleep, thinking about the joy I would see on their faces as each of my siblings would unwrap the little treasure I had found for them.

The night before Christmas we children would eat Christmas cookies that we had baked and decorated.  Then Mom would sit down to the piano and we’d sing Christmas carols.  It was so festive and joyous, and we sang from our hearts.  We made beautiful music.  

Past and present Christmases overlap and intertwine.  Dan and I recreate the magic of Christmas from our childhoods and from when we had our own little children at home. Both my Danny and I continued these childhood traditions with our children….and today. 

Now we are in our mid-seventies.  We are old and have thirteen grandchildren, but this magical time of year is still shining brightly for both of us.

Our family lives far away, all over the United States, and even in Russia.  We are celebrating Christmas together…just the two of us at our beautiful home, Nuestra Casa.

We are so excited—Christmas is near and magic is in the air and we are healthy and together!

We wrote loving Christmas cards and gaily wrapped piles of presents for our dear family.



We had so much fun opening opening all the boxes of Christmas decorations. We’ve had several of these decorations for over 40 years.  Every year we get to enjoy them again.  It’s like seeing a special friend that we haven’t seen for a year of longer.

We set to work (or I guess I should say play) and decorated every room in our home…and outside too!



























Dan is the Snow Village expert.  I am his helper elf.  Dan has years of experience.  He set up a Snow Village every year for his children.  And his father also set up a Snow Village every Christmas.
 
And when Dad Graybill said he was too old to get his own Snow Village out of the attic, Dan said heck with that he would come out on Thanksgivings and get the pieces from the attic for his Dad...because he knew how much Dad loved his own Snow Village and Dan couldn't stand the thought of his father not having that.  He did that for his Dad until his parents had to move to an Assisted Living facility.  And even there, Dad set up a small Snow Village.  It's a family tradition.
 
Dan’s Snow Village is always a work of art.  I love watching him create this miniature world, full of little people, children, and joy and life.

Our Snow Villages are simply lovely little worlds….they are magical, just like Christmas!







Our home sweet home is ready for Christmas……and we’re so excited!


Santa came by and left us gifts….we must have been a good little boy and girl this year!


Now it’s time for me to head into the kitchen and start making our Christmas cookies.  Our home will smell like Christmas.  My Danny and I will lick the bowl together, so our fingers will be all sticking, just like when we were children.  And then we’ll sing Christmas carols together.


No comments:

Post a Comment