Friday, July 17, 2020

Around the World in 1008 Days......on my bike


As of this morning, since I took up cycling as a hobby in 2009, I have cycled around the world.

24,901 miles, to be exact.  1008 rides.  An average of 24.7 miles/ride.

It is an accomplishment that I can't even comprehend. 

For one thing, in the past 11 1/2 years there have been a total of about 3 years when Vicky and I were traveling in our camper and had no bikes.  The 11 1/2 years also includes several long periods where we couldn't cycle because of medical issues (skin cancer, open heart surgery, two foot surgeries, two shoulder surgeries, prostate cancer), trips to visit family, and so on.

In January of 2009, I got it into my head to do the Seattle to Portland Bike ride--the STP.  So I bought a $400 steel bike (which at the time, being totally clueless, I thought was a "good bike) and began training--not knowing anything about how to do that either.

And because I was training for the STP I started keeping track of my mileage, and just kept doing it.

Jules and I were planning on doing the STP in 2010, but one of my foot operations derailed that.  So, instead, we signed up in 2011 and Sean joined us!  Vicky picked us up in Portland.

In 2012 we bought a bike for Vicky, another cheapie, and we started riding together.  In fact, since I met Vicky neither of us have cycled any miles except with each other.  She found, not surprisingly, that she really enjoyed cycling.  We just kept at it, doing a lot of club-organized bike rides with Jules, including seven STPs that the three of us did together.

Without Vicky I would never have achieved this goal.  Riding with a partner is much more fun. 

 Here we are, just passing 24,901 miles.  Vicky said she was behind me all of the way.  (yuk yuk)



In 2-3 years, Vicky will have cycled around the world also, and every one of those miles will have been together.

And in the time I have been around the world on my bicycle seat, in the past 9 years, Vicky and I have also hiked 3700+ miles, which is the distance from Alaska to Key West, Florida.  We can hardly believe that either.  From the top of the USA to the very bottom.


...a 1956 movie.  It took me a lot longer than 80 days.  But David Niven and Cantinflas didn't cycle any of their miles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment