Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Jewelry made from rocks I found in the desert



One more of our many summer days with Marina and Stella, but this time I decided to teach them how to make a different kind of jewelry....a pendant made from rocks they might find on the beach or just about anywhere.  And of course they were excited to learn.

All my life I have collected interesting or beautiful rocks.  And now I have all of our deserts to find rocks in!  I just can’t keep myself from spying them (each one prettier than the last) and putting them in my pocket, or if too big to fit in my pocket, in Dan’s backpack.  He is good-natured about this, in fact, he insists on carrying all my beautiful heavy rocks.

So today I brought out my collection of small desert rocks.  The girls picked their favorite rock and I taught them how to wrap the rock in sterling silver wire with small beads, make a silver loop at the top, and then craft a silver chain necklace with a clasp.










I have taught both girls how to knit. Stella is making her very first scarf and brought it along to work on it.  She has a very clever technique to fix any dropped stitches.  She pulls them together and ties a bow, very unique and beautiful.  I have always told our granddaughters that I never worry about a mistake in my sewing, jewelry, and knitting because that way I will always know that it is not made by a machine, but made by hand.  Stella’s scarf has several fancy bows.




Grandpa happily watched us all afternoon from the porch, with his chips and a glass of wine. See him on the porch as the girls model their new pendants.






No comments:

Post a Comment