Sunday, December 13, 2015

I want to own a town, too!


After we left the Mojave National Preserve we spent three nights in BLM land near Amboy, California.

We had a nice isolated spot for three nights, with no one even on the road for the entire time, and took a couple of nice hikes.

After we left, on our way to the Twentynine Palms, California, area, we stopped at Amboy, California, to mail some Christmas and Hanukkah gifts.

Amboy is along old Route 66.  We thought we might get gas and a few groceries.

Well, no.

There isn't much there, but there was a post office.  We went in and were helped by a friendly woman who said she was retired but worked there on contract. There were no other customers the entire time we were there (something to remember this holiday season if the lines at your post office are long--drive to Amboy because there will be no wait there).  I asked when the pony came by to get the mail.  I think she is used to bad humor.

When talking about the town she casually mentioned the "owner."  The "owner?"

I guess there is one person who owns the entire town!

Which got me to thinking that if he could do it, so could I.

So I'm sending this to my family to sort of nudge them.  Christmas is coming and I'm tired of the yadda  yadda that I'm hard to buy for.  Buy me a town.  Almost any town would do, as long as it is not in Texas that is.

It doesn't need to be big, in fact something modest would fit my humble personality better than something large and pretentious.  Please have no flaming liberals in it or staunch conservatives--that's all I ask.  Just ordinary people would be preferable--ordinary enough to be OK with living in a town I owned lock, stock, and barrell.  

Thank you in advance, family.

Now some photos of hikes we have taken since we left the Mojave National Preserve:








No comments:

Post a Comment