Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lost Palms Hike from Cottonwood Springs in Joshua Tree

We left Mesa and headed to Joshua Tree National Park. We had enjoyed our previous stay there, so decided to try another area of the park. We really enjoyed it.

We stayed at the Cottonwood Springs Campground. Nothing great as far as a campground, but OK. And once again the volunteer hosts were great in helping us make the stay better and, in this instance, in finding a great hike.

Our hike was to Lost Palms Oasis. It was about a 7.5 mile trek across varied desert terrain to the largest concentration of Palm trees in the park. The views were spectacular along the way, and the wildflowers were beautiful in their spring bloom.

Some of the palm trees at the destination:






Incredible views:


A grove of palm trees. Amazing in the desert. But where there is a spring, I guess they can grow.



Lunch rock. Out of the sun:

Fun canyons to walk through:




Vicky likes taking photos of my butt. At least that's what I accuse her of doing. About 75% of the photos she takes of me when hiking are from behind me. The reason is that because of my foot I set the hiking pace, so am usually in front. So she has a reason, but I've been suspecting that she's been doing it on purpose.

And now I know that I'm right. After the hike I found she took photos of my butt every time I bent over to take a photo of one of the wild flowers. Busted, Vicky!

I guess it is a nice butt, as butts go.

No comments:

Post a Comment