Wednesday, February 14, 2024

The special day for lovers all over the World

Today is Valentine’s Day….it feels like it was made for us!

We love to celebrate each other, our family, and life whenever we can.  We started celebrating a week ago when we sent vintage Valentine’s Day cards to our grandchildren.  Our daughters may have children of their own, but to us, they are still our little girls, so we also sent them valentines from the 1950’s that say things like, “be mine” or “be my valentine.”

We had today all to ourselves….to celebrate our love for each other.

Look what I found on my pillow when I woke up….a charming old fashioned valentine from my love!


My Valentine’s valentine, a special wine, and his favorite breakfast….made with lots of love.


Tokens of the love that we feel for each other….


Dan found some very old and unique Flamenco dancing dolls.  This is the perfect gift for me.  Since I was a very young child I started collecting dolls from foreign countries.  

Every Christmas our parents would drive an hour to Seattle, so we could enjoy all the amazing Christmas decorations at the big old fashioned department stores….and we’d get to sit on Santa Claus’ lap and tell him what we wanted for Christmas.  I always asked for another doll from some far-off country.  

Then I would get to pick out another doll from the glass case in the toy section of the Frederick and Nelson Department Store.  I haven’t been given a new doll for my collection since I was a child, almost 60 years ago.

Here are my new Flamenco Dancers.  They’re exquisitely beautiful….thank you, my love.



 

Here is more of my childhood doll collection that we have in the china cabinet at our cabin.
 

My new Valentine’s Day Spanish dolls are a special addition to my doll collection.  I will treasure them forever.  They will live in Nuestra Casa, our exotic “Mexican” home in Leisure World.

I gave my Danny this 1931 cover to a Saturday Evening Post with a Norman Rockwell drawing of two lovers.  It reminds me of our first tender kiss.  We plan on hanging “Our First Kiss” in our mountain log cabin..  


We enjoyed a picnic dinner in the sunshine on our back patio.



And of course, we danced.  Holding each other close and dancing to beautiful love songs is our very favorite way to celebrate our love.
 
Some of today's dance videos.  All of our dances were to oldies, going back to the 1950s. 
 
  

Then we watched Roman Holiday, a charming 1953 movie with two of our favorite actors--Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck.  It is a real gem if you haven't seen it.  The perfect movie for Valentine’s Day….a sweet, innocent love story.  

And we ate our dessert—berry pie smothered in ice cream.

It was so delicious that we both had a second helping of dessert!

Today we celebrated each other, our family, the amazing world around us, and life.  This is what we celebrate every day.  Each and every day is our Valentine’s Day, a day for love.

No comments:

Post a Comment