Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Who are you? Please tell me you had a good life.

In today's mail my sister had sent several photos of me as a baby, and of Jules as a baby.

And in the Bloomington newspaper, the Pantagraph, there are stories of a huge winter storm.

How are these related.

45 years ago we were traveling north from Tennessee to Illinois to visit relatives.  We hit the biggest storm we had ever encountered.  There was no internet in those days, so weather reports were very hit or miss.

Only one lane of the interstate was "open."  We were driving about 20 mph, with baby Jules in the back seat.

Finally we spotted an exit, and drove off.  There was one motel.  I went in to get a room.  There was a man ahead of me in line.  When the worker got to me he said that he was sorry but the man in front of me had gotten the last room.

The man, I still remember to this day, looked out into our car and saw our baby son, and said:  "give it to them" and drove off into the teeth of that horrible storm.

What did he expect to get back from that?  A video that went "viral?"  Stories on CNN or Fox News?  He expected nothing.  

This is the best of people.  I have thought of this man often, and have wished so much that he had a good life.  I imagine he did.


No comments:

Post a Comment