Sunday, October 28, 2018

Five weeks after open heart surgery: Movin' on


We are gradually getting back to normal, very gradually (and we actually were never that normal anyway).

My chest and back still hurt, and probably will for two more months.  The heart is apparently healed, although the issue with it beating irregularly will be something to monitor for the future.  The Atrial Flutter comes (grrrr) and goes, so we'll have to see about that.  The sternum takes a long time to heal.

We are leaving for Mesa, for Nuestra Casa, tomorrow.   It is getting colder and wetter in the Pacific Northwest, and it is a necessity that I can get out and walk (a lot) every day.  We can do that better in the warm Arizona sun.

We also have a pool nearby, about a 10 minute walk, and I can rehab in it.  I'll have to use one of those noodle things, which I promised myself I'd never do, because I can't exert any effort with my upper body for another two months.  So, I'll look like an old person at the pool, even though we all know I'm not really an old person.  I'm just a 70-year-old person---the age I always thought was old until it applied to me, and then the rules changed.

For one month I have done little except sit in front of our windows and look out at our woods.........and walk.  It's a wonderful sight out our windows, but other than the occasional deer to break the monotony, it is getting a little old.  Before my surgery I put up some bird feeders because I thought we might attract some native birds, and I love watching birds.  Yesterday I brought the feeders and seed back inside--hardly a seed was eaten.  We need to see something else.

We have been going to the park every day for the past three weeks to take walks.  We have worked up from 1.3 mile walks to 5.25 mile ones.  There are about 3 miles of trails in this local park, so to get in our 5+ mile walks we have to repeat a lot of them.  We are very grateful to have something this nice this close to us (about a mile from our home).

Since I was discharged from the surgeon, three weeks and two days ago, we will have walked just under 100 miles, almost all in these woods.  It's been great for my recovery.

Us in our local woods:


To get the one mile to these woods I sit in the back seat, with my heart pillow protecting my sternum, and Vicky has done all of the driving.  Come to think of it, Vicky has done all of the lots of stuff these past five weeks.


 She does all of the driving.



 Hauls wood:


 

Makes food, does laundry, and the list goes on and on.  All cheerfully.  My bionic, cow, plastic, metal, sutured, repaired heart belongs to her.



No comments:

Post a Comment