Monday, March 12, 2018

Dancing to celebrate 7 years of having met at a dance

Seven years ago today (March 12) I went to a dance on Whidbey Island and saw a girl who "sparkled."  I just knew I had to get to know her, so signed up for a dance class she was taking so she could get to know me.  Two months later she was my girlfriend (for a week), then my fiance (for a month), and then my wife (forever).

For the occasion Vicky wore the same outfit she wore that first night.  I didn't know her name when I asked her for a couple of dances, so just thought of her as "pink sweater lady."

We both took up dancing in our 60s.  We have kept at it.

This is a Nightclub Two-step, our favorite dance.  The tempo of this song is VERY fast for this dance.   Importantly, the dancing we do is "lead-follow."  In other words, nothing is choreographed.  Vicky does not know what moves will come when, so I have to be clear with my leads and she has to be on her toes (so to speak) to follow.  It is not a practiced routine.  No two dances are ever alike. 

Neither of us can believe that we have accomplished something like this in our 60s, after we have retired, especially with the orthopedic issues we both have.  We are actually kind of proud of what we have accomplished, but mostly we just love the experience of dancing together.

Crystal Gayle:  When I Dream.






No comments:

Post a Comment