Friday, January 31, 2014

Back to Joshua Tree National Park: I turn (gulp) 66

Arrived late yesterday afternoon. It is cold here. Brrrr.

This morning we did one of our favorite hikes. It was as beautiful as always. We are saving our favorite hike in this area for a different day. Both times we have done this favorite hike it has been so windy we thought the wind was going to blow us off of the mountain. And since this morning it was still quite windy, we are holding off for a day, hoping for better weather.

Today is my 66th birthday. For some reason, 66 seems older than 65 by more than one year. I remember feeling that 17 was also really old. Little did I know. Maybe 66 seems really old because now I am closer to 70 than to 60. That's a thought that will ruin a birthday.

I got bacon for breakfast--a real treat. Vicky also got me a new vacuum cleaner.

Actually that is a joke. She didn't really get me a vacuum cleaner big enough for a large house for a camper that has a floor space that is only 6 by 4 feet.

Yes she did. Well, sorta. She found it abandoned in a ravine. It appears to be brand new. Still has all of the attachments, filters are clean. She said it followed her home, so could she keep it?

We would like to try it out, but there is no electricity at our site. And if it works, then what do we do? We can't take it home with us, no room in the camper, but it's a better vacuum cleaner than the one we have at home. It's not like the park service has a lost and found. Besides, who in their right minds would call a national park to inquire if someone happened to find their full sized vacuum cleaner? I think you'd be too embarrassed to admit you somehow drove off without your vacuum cleaner. I would be.

For now, it is sitting outside our camper, on the off chance someone comes back for it. If nobody does, I hope someone steals it. Then we don't have to deal with it. If someone does come back for it, I'll try to get a photo and post it so everyone will know who left their vacuum cleaner when they went camping. I think this is something potential employers or spouses would want to know, don't you?

For my birthday I got a video made by Soren and Sebastian in which Soren sings the Happy Birthday Cha Cha Cha. I had never heard happy birthday sung as a cha cha, but you know, it actually works! He called tonight to inform me that the honey I was being sent was to be saved for when he visits us because he likes it when Vicky makes him peanut butter and honey sandwiches.

My mother, sister, brother-in-law, and niece sent me an Ecard. My mother called yesterday, but I told her it didn't count since it wasn't officially on my birthday. But it actually counts--she called early because she knew we are often impossible to reach. I thanked her for having me. She did a good job having me. And raising me. And giving me, along with my dad, their all.

 

Vicky knitted me a sweater which I wore hiking today. Doesn't it look great?

I also played the Slate news quiz, and beat everybody, including the Slate employee.

You don't think they let me win just because it is my birthday, do you?

Ian, Adam. Jessica, and Jules called to sing happy birthday. We had an early birthday party with them before we left Whidbey Island.

In addition to my gift cards for a date night with Vicky, my birthday present was being trounced by Ian at one of his games where I still think he was making up the rules as he went along. Come on, Ian, admit it. I'm 66, almost 70, and am very sensitive. You need to let me win like the nice Slate news people did.

Speaking of winning (or more specifically, losing)...Ian and Adam are Seahawks fans. So are Jessica and my son in law, Sean. I have a sneaking suspicion that my son Jules has also gone over to the dark side, so it is nice to know I can still count on my daughter Emily, who by the way will now inherit everything except my old STP jackets which will go to my son and Jessica. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

So that's everybody, or almost everybody--I'm still waiting for my call from Peyton Manning. He's probably in meetings or some such nonsense.

A nice birthday. We spent thanksgiving at the Everglades, Christmas at Big Bend National Park, and now my birthday at Joshua Tree. Pretty cool.

 

1 comment:

  1. Emily doesn't NEED your old STP jackets --she has the photos from her graduation to remind her!

    Xoxox --your birthday looks like a complete success.

    Ps --please keep my vacuum on a tether until I can get there. Its wandering spirit was cute at first, but now it's getting kind of tiresome.

    ReplyDelete